Permanent Resident Documents

Permanent Resident Card
The permanent resident card (PR Card) is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.
You need a PR Card if:

  • You are a permanent resident (including a child);
  • You plan on travelling outside of Canada; and
  • You plan on returning to Canada by any commercial transporter, such as a plane, train, boat or bus.

Who may use this application?
Use this application if you are a permanent resident in Canada who wants to apply for:

  • your first PR Card.
  • a renewal of your PR Card that has or will soon expire.
  • you legally changed your name and need to update your PR card.
  • a replacement of your PR Card that has been lost, stolen or damaged; or
  • to change the gender designation on your PR Card.

Important information: If your PR Card is still valid for more than nine (9) months (270 days), do not apply for a renewal, unless your legal name has changed. Otherwise, your application will be returned.

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Canada.
  • be physically present in Canada.
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order.
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card

Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.
Important information: When you return to Canada, you should apply for a PR Card right away.

Almost all the applicants who apply for any type of visas for Canada would need to give biometrics, if:

  • you are now older than 14 years old but less than 79 years and you are applying for a Visitor, Work, Study or Permanents residence of Canada, a new PR card, a replacement PR card, or the renewal of a PR card.

Once you’ve paid the application and biometrics fees, you will get a biometric instruction letter (BIL) which will direct you to a list of biometric collection service points you may choose from. You must bring the BIL with you to the biometric collection service point. You can’t give your biometrics without this letter.

  • Biometrics provided in support of a temporary residence application are valid for 10 years to support subsequent temporary residence applications.
  • Biometrics provided in support of a permanent residence application are valid only for the duration of the application.
  • Biometrics provided in support of a permanent residence application can be applied to support a temporary residence application. The validity of these biometrics is set to the length of the applicant’s permanent residence or temporary residence status, whichever is longer.
  • Biometrics provided in support of a temporary residence application cannot be used to support a permanent residence application.
  • Biometrics will be required in support of every permanent residence application (that is, if applicants refuse or withdraw their previous applications, they cannot use their biometrics to support future applications).
  • If valid biometrics are on file for a previous temporary residence application, they can be used for any subsequent temporary residence application.
  • Permanent residence applicants must submit biometrics for each application regardless of possible previous biometrics on file.
  • If valid biometrics are on file for a permanent residence application, they can be used for any temporary residence application for the duration of that permanent residence application.

We encourage you to give your biometrics as soon as possible after you get the BIL and the fees for Biometric is:

  • Individual applicant: CAD $85
  • Families applying at the same time: maximum total fee of CAD $170
  • Groups of 3 or more performing artists and their staff who apply for work permits at the same time: maximum total fee of $CAD 255
  • Find out more about biometrics.

Biometric collection service points
PR card applicants can give their biometrics at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) or Application Support Center (ASC). If it’s an option at your service point, we encourage you to make an appointment in advance.

  • Visa Application Centres (VACs) worldwide
    • You can give your biometrics at any VAC. It doesn’t need to be the VAC in your country of residence.
    • VACs also offer other services in local languages.
  • Application Support Centers (ASCs) in the United States and overseas territories
    • You must already be legally in the United States or an overseas territory of the United States to go to an ASC.
    • You can only go to an ASC if you’ve received your biometric instruction letter (BIL) from us.
    • Almost 52 Biometric Centres have been opened in Canada.

See the list of biometric collection service points.

You may be eligible for Canadian citizenship if:

  • you are a permanent resident of Canada; and
  • regardless of your age, you have been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the five years right before the date you sign your application and meet all other conditions.

You may be able to use some of your time spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person towards your physical presence calculation. Each day spent physically in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident within the last five years will count as one-half day, with a maximum of 365 days, towards your physical presence.

Find out if you have lived in Canada long enough to apply to become a citizen.

We will not issue PR cards to Canadian citizens. Confirm your status in Canada before you apply.

If we cannot process your PR card application because you are a Canadian citizen, your application fee will be refunded.

Mistake in your name

If your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or other permanent residence document has a mistake in your name:

Legal Change of Name
Read the information below to see which supporting documents you need:
If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must submit:

  • supporting legal documents as proof of your name change, and
  • supporting identity documents as requested in section 2 of Step 1.

Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:

  • A copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • One of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • A marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Registration.
    • Declaration of union.
    • Revocation of declaration or annulment of union.

If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:

  • A foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • An official document linking the old and new names.

If your name change was already approved in a past PR Card application, include a photocopy of your last PR Card.