Family Sponsorship

You can sponsor close family members living abroad, including :Parents Grandparents Children adopted outside of Canada or intended to be adopted in Canada Brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, grandsons or granddaughters who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner;Any other family member if there is no spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, registered Indian or permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.If you want to be re-united in Canada with a relative or family member living abroad, you must sponsor that relative or family member to immigrate as a member of the Family Class.

Free Online Assessment

There are two different processes for sponsoring  family. One process is used for sponsoring spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children. Another process is used to sponsor other eligible relatives. 

As of November 5, 2011, no new applications to sponsor parents or grandparents will be accepted for processing for up to 24 months. This temporary pause will allow  those applicants who are  already awaiting a decision and reduce the backlog in the parents and grandparents category. This does not affect sponsorship applications for spouses, partners, dependent or adopted children and other eligible relatives.

Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents have a new option for visiting Canada. As of December 1, 2011, they may be eligible to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa and enjoy visits to Canada of up to two years without the need to renew  status.

Who can sponsor a spouse, partner or dependent child

One can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children if he/she is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. To be a sponsor, person  must be 18 years of age or older.

You can apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or accompanying dependent children live with you in Canada, even if they do not have legal status in Canada. However, all the other requirements must be met.

You can also apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children live outside Canada, and if they meet all the requirements.

When you sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada, you must promise to support them financially. Therefore, you have to meet certain income requirements. If you have previously sponsored relatives to come to Canada and they have later turned to the government for financial assistance, you may not be allowed to sponsor another person.

To be a sponsor you and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative for three years from the date they become a permanent resident;You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past;defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support

It is usually faster to apply to sponsor a spouse from outside Canada. However, the requirements to immigrate to Canada are the same in both cases, except some  differences between the processes:

If some one applies from Inside Canada, it takes about  12 to 18 months to process applications; no right of appeal ; you would have to stay in Canada while your application is being processed (If you leave Canada and cannot re-enter, the application will be abandoned);you can also apply for an open work permit with the sponsorship application (the permit will be issued as soon as you are eligible for it)

If you apply from Outside Canada it takes about 6 to 12 months to process routine applications; you will have a right of appeal; if you are in Canada and  you want to work in Canada while your application is being processed, you must apply for a regular work permit